On the northern margins of the Salisbury Plain and not far to the south of the Cotswold Hills, The Golden Swan is a beautiful and welcoming thatched Pub in a peaceful hamlet of Wilcot near Pewsey.
Set in a designated 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty', the Pub is situated 6 miles south of Marlborough, 22 miles from the cathedral city of Salisbury and within easy reach of the Avebury Stone Circle,
Silbury Hill, West Kennet Long Barrow and Stonehenge. The Kennet and Avon Canal is close by and there is wonderful walking country on the chalk downs which form the dramatic North Escarpment of the Vale of Pewsey, just two miles from Wilcot.
Here, you are ideally located for the following sites of historical, religious and mystical interest:
Avebury: prehistoric stone circle, encompassing a village, nearby Silbury Hill and the Kennet Long Barrow
Bath: beautiful Georgian spa town with Roman baths and excellent shops
Marlborough: county market town on the edge of the Savernake Forest
Hungerford: many antique shops
Lacock: historic village with Abbey, scene of historical dramas, most recently "Pride & Prejudice".
Salisbury (and Old Sarum): historic cathedral and market city
Stonehenge: World-famous heritage site of prehistoric stone circle
Wilton House: ancestral home of the Earls of Pembroke
Originally built in 1746, a Public House named 'The Swan' stood at the South corner of Wilcot Green. It was then moved 'brick by brick' in 1859, and rebuilt at the East corner. Now named 'The Golden Swan', the pub is just 200 yards from the canal. The thatch is said to be the steepest in Wiltshire!